“Just a nurse”
Caitlin Brassington, a St Vincent’s Private Hospital nurse has helped bring babies into this world who needed assistance taking their first breath. She has performed CPR on patients and brought them back to life. She can auscultate every lung field on a newborn and assess which one may have decreased air entry… and yet with all of this was labelled “just a nurse”.
Caitlin’s Facebook response to the “just a nurse” comment resulted in her post going viral with massive social media coverage including the New York Times, Yahoo, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and the Daily Mail as well as TV, print and radio.
With over 28,000 likes and 5,000 shares, Caitlin’s heart-warming post had a threefold effect
- It educated or reminded diverse audiences about the incredible and often invisible impact of nurses
- It showed her to be a compassionate and competent nurse
- It positively impacted the St. Vincent’s Hospital brand by demonstrating the high calibre nursing staff it employs.
While Caitlin’s intention was not to put her name in lights, the authentic nature of her post demonstrated the impact employees can have on a brand or industry.
When developing your branding strategy, do not underestimate how powerful your employees’ voices can be in building your brand. In fact, statistics* show that including employees as part of your general marketing and branding campaigns has a far greater impact on your bottom line and social engagement strategies.
- When brand messages are shared by employees on social media, they receive 561 percent more reachthan the same messages shared by the brand’s social media channels.
- Brand messages are re-shared 24 times more frequentlywhen posted by an employee versus the brand’s social media channels.
- On average, employees have 10 times more followersthan their company’s social media accounts.
- Content shared by employees receives 8 times more engagementthan content shared by brand channels.
Your Small Act which ensures a major Major Impact is to have your leadership team discuss the “Not just a” approach to adding value to your brand’s reach from your most trusted source, your employees.
Just a nurse post – https://www.facebook.com/caitlin.brassington/posts/10154663456252578:0
*Social statistics article by Ryan Erskine – https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/280371